Did you know that many of the world's most popular sports originated in the United Kingdom? Since the middle of the 19th century, more than 10 official sports have been created in the UK!
Examples of team sports:
– Football: Probably the most popular sport created in England, football rules were first written in 1863!
– Rugby: Rugby is also a kind of football game. “The Rugby Football Union” was created in the UK in 1871! However, unlike Football, this game needs 2 teams of 15 players and you need to use your hands to get the ball into the enemy zone to win points.
– Hockey: The first hockey club was created in 1849 but the word 'hockey' was actually recorded by King Edward III in 1363! The game is similar to football as there are 11 players in each team and players need to use hockey sticks to hit the ball.
– Curling: Curling was invented in Scotland in the medieval period, around the year 1540. Two teams of 4 players take turns to slide a stone on ice to a circular target. It takes a lot of skill to make sure the stones stop inside the target and players often knock their opponents' stones out of the way too!
Examples of individual sports:
– Tennis: The modern game of tennis was created between 1860 and 1865 in Birmingham, England.
– Badminton: Badminton was created in the mid 1800's in Badminton House, Gloucestershire.
– Boxing: Boxing appeared in the 1700s in England. A match can stop any time if an opponent is incapable to continue.
– Table tennis: Table tennis originated in England and was created at the end of the 1800s. Similar to tennis and badminton, a player only wins a point if the opponent cannot return the ball on the correct part of the table.